The Crossness Pumping Station

A Cathedral on the Marsh

Crossness Pumping Station



2805 Steaming Day CrossnessGB2CM

Prince Consort will be steaming throughout the day

Amateur radio station GB2CM will be broadcasting to
60+ heritage sites world-wide

 Enjoy family craft activities suitable for children 4 years plus
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For visitors using their own transport, set your satnavs to SE2 9AQ which brings you to Bazalgette Way (previously Belvedere Rd).

The Crossness visitor carpark is at the end of Bazalgette Way to the right, just before the Thames Water Main Gate.

For local visitors and for visitors arriving by public transport,
a coach operated by Ebdons Tours is picking up and returning to Abbey Wood at the times given below. Total admission charge including the return coach journey is £10 for Adults and £2 for children.
 
To Crossness
Ebdons Tours coach pick up from outside the Abbey Arms Public House
Wilton Rd, Abbey Wood, London SE2 9RH

10.15, 11.00, 11.45, 12.30, 14.00, 14.45
 
To Abbey Arms

Ebdons Tours coach leaving from Crossness
and returning to Wilton Road, Abbey Wood, London SE2 9RH

11.25, 12.10, 13.40, 14.25, 15.30, 16.00 and 16.30

The Crossness Pumping Station was built by Sir Joseph Bazalgette as part of Victorian London's urgently needed main sewerage system. It was officially opened by the Prince of Wales in April 1865.

The Beam Engine House is a Grade 1 Listed Industrial Building constructed in the Romanesque style and features some of the most spectacular ornamental Victorian cast ironwork to be found today. It also contains the four original pumping engines (although the cylinders were upgraded in 1901), which are possibly the largest remaining rotative beam engines in the world, with 52 ton flywheels and 47 ton beams. Although modern diesel engines were subsequently introduced, the old beam engines remained in service until work on a new sewerage treatment plant commenced in 1956. Following abandonment in the mid 1950's, the engine house and engines were systematically vandalised and left to decay, which greatly impeded the Trust's restoration/conservation programme.

The Crossness Engines Trust, a registered charity, was set up in 1987 to restore the installation which represents a unique part of Britain's industrial heritage and an outstanding example of Victorian engineering. A large part of the restoration work so far carried out has been done entirely by an unpaid volunteer workforce



booklet




Supported by: